BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Likeability - Is It In You?

In the real world experts emphasize the importance of possessing business savvy and professional know-how. As students, we often interpret that to stand for proficient multi-media, speaking, writing, research and critical thinking skills -- just some of the many instruments we'll need to succeed in the PR profession. However, many times we overlook a very vital component to this mix, one that is key in getting hired, maintaining positive day-to-day interaction in the office and ensuring upward mobility in the professional world. That ingredient... is likeability, and should be considered a skill-set all in itself.


In the article "Likeability, It's an Inside Job", author Bruna Martinuzzi highlights the significance of networks in the workplace and the importance of maintaining positive relationships with those you interact with. This article was both educational and enlightening for me. Yes, I have always had a knack for social interaction, but when it's time for work I often immerse myself in the focus of the tasks at hand. This article helped me to recognize that focus and camaraderie must coexist in order to ensure victory in my professional life. Without this balance success will be much harder to obtain.

I've experienced the perks of likeability on many occasions, but one that ocmes to mind includes a task I was given at one of my recent internships -- BIG Communications. Although our workload was heavy, I was always sure to make my "daily rounds", taking time to speak with every employee in the office early in the day. Before running errands outside of the office I'd often check to see if they needed anything or had any requests while I was out. It wasn't long before we'd all formed a very genuine bond, and the job no longer felt like work. We were having fun. A project came up involving one of our clients in which agency members were required to go out into the city and film selected entertainment, dining and shopping "hot spots". I'd heard about the project, but assumed BIG would choose one of their official employees as opposed to the rookie intern. To my surprise however, John Montgomery -- owner of the agency -- recommended me for the project and awarded me the position of coordinator. He said he believed me to be a "people person" and felt my organization skills made me perfect for the job. I was responsible for organizing the shoots, meeting with business owners at the sites and conducting interviews with owners/frequent visitors of the "IN Spots". Needless to say I had an awesome time working on the project. It was an excellent networking opportunity that I can now list in my portfolio (along with my new knowledge of edit and film).

Now with all of this said, I still feel I have are areas where I could definitely use improvement. As noted before, reading this article prompted me to take a hard look at my focus as a professional. I do love to socialize, and when there is time I love to interact with my co-workers. However, when the work is heavier, I often get so involved that I forget to take a moment out to shoot my cohorts a simple smile. On occasion, I have even been guilty of placing more weight on completing the tasks than on maintaining personal relationships with my peers. Simple put, work consumes me! When there is a job to be done, I get in my "zone". Although this can be beneficial to the client and efforts of the company, I recognize that it can also mean that I am neglecting (and even damaging) my personal relationships with my peers. I have to learn to consistently balance diligence with friendliness and empathy. Although there are many professional skills and talents that could serve to "beef up" my resume, making me more marketable to potential employers, this article serves as an excellent reminder that social skill, congenial interaction and attention to personal relationships can be just as affective in my success.

0 comments: