BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Building Your Personal Brand

In the article, Building Your Brand, by Sherrie Bakshi, the author sheds light ont he fact taht we as PR professionals must not onlyu invest in brand building for our respective clients, but also recognize that we ourselves are a personal brand in need of development. She highlights the need to showcase your skills and special interests to both external and internal clients as wella s colleagues in the world of communications. She lists volunteering as a primary measn of displaying your experitse as wellas a means ot try out your own tactics and strategies in a real wrold communications showground. Bakshi also notes taht getting one's works published and engaging in public speaking activities provides the opportunity for one to sharpen their leadership and communication skills.Laslty, she list membership in thel ocal PRSA Chapter as a means to create a social network. The goal is to mix and mingle with a number of professionals who can serve to further educate one another about the various aspects of the PR field.

Of all the tips listed, I believe volunteering one's services in a PR related activity is one of the most effective means of building a persona brand. Volunteering allows one to hone their current skills ( in a setting that is less demanding) as well as asses their weaknesses in order to produce better work in the future. One also getst he opportunity to network and draw from the knowledge of a more established professional. One can also gain a general understanding ot he professional environment and behaviours of those working within various fields. I believe all of this comes into play when one is searching for internship/working experience during the college years. Club affiliations, organization memberships and community service opportunities have given me a substantial amount of experience (that I now am able to use on my resume/note in my professional interviews.) I plan to continue to take advantage of volunteer opportunities such as these for the rest of my time in the PR field.

If I could add any additonal tips to Bakshi's list, I'd simply suggest skill building. As a young PR professional searching to find our way in an industry that is constantly changing, it is imperative that we keep up with the latest trends and skill-sets taht are to be required by potential employers. In order to effectively market yourself, one must be ready and able to give a client "bang for their buck". I learned basic film and edit skills at my last internship and am currently working towards graphic design proficiency. Social network expertise and a general knowledge of the changes in the computer industry have also been areas of interest for me. I have witnessed first hand these skills in action, and I am sure taht knowledge of them will help me build my personal brand.

0 comments: